My “One Thing”
Only you can make you happy or not
Other Key Concepts
This is the author’s response to the Tao Te Ching
xiii. “The Work”- This is what the authors wants you to do regarding any conflicts
that are presented to you
1. Is it true?
2. Can you absolutely know that it’s true?
3. How can you react when you believe that thought?
4. Who would you be without the thought?
2. Everyone has equal wisdom and we can only teach ourselves
3. Reality is not words, but experiences
7. Is there good and bad?
10. Find good qualities in yourself
10. Be, not do
14. Reality includes both sides of everything
22. Don’t fight natural balance in the world
46. Get over pride and ask for help
53. We are part of Mother Earth
54. We all have wisdom
62. Love yourself first
53/4. Clean up mental environment and physical cleans up more quickly
93. We are alone with ourselves
110. No criticisms, only observations
148. All are one, but not all the same
194. ONLY TRUE ANSWER TO WHY IS BECAUSE
How to apply
Here I would apply that there are no criticisms and only observations. Criticism
on a project or how we did something is only our own belief. If we turn around
and see the other’s point of view we can use that observation to do something
better the next time.
Use the “is it true.” This can be great when something that you are certain on,
just isn’t working. Just go and ask “is it true?” It may turn out to be very beneficial
when helping get down to really what is causing a patient’s pain or dysfunction
As the title implies this is a book that talks of joy. I like to use the word happiness
myself and so will do so. I think that Katie does an excellent job of showing how
people can spark this happiness within themselves. I love that she points out that
we already have the wisdom inside of us to achieve our own happiness or
anything else that we want, but we really must locate this and bring it out.
The author also does a great job of posing questions. My favorite is “is it true?”
This can be something beneficial to ask in any situation because it can only be
true if we believe that it is. Beware of this powerful tool as it can be used in a very
beneficial matter if we believe so, but also in a destructive manner if believed. I
will continue to believe the truth in my happiness!
Very good read for those looking for a thought provoking book. I enjoyed it as
some of the points made me look deeply at myself.
If you liked this book, read…
The Tao Te Ching